179 Nigerian nationals left SA after ‘xenophobic attacks’ swept through country

Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi has told the media that 179 Nigerians left South Africa on board a private plane on Wednesday.

The owner of Air Peace airline volunteered to repatriate approximately 600 Nigerians. The statement had been released on Monday after a wave of attacks aimed at the foreign nationals hit the SA provinces.

The country was rocked by violent flare-ups and looting, much of it in Gauteng, where foreign nationals appeared to have been targeted.

According to police reports, there at least 12 people had become the victims of the ‘xenophobic violence’ in the province.

“The final figure of people who left on Wednesday was 179. When we were doing our exit controls we found that four were children. One person was arrested for having a fraudulent South African visa. We couldn’t allow him to leave because he had fraudulently obtained a visa. So, we handed him over to the police. Only 179 ended up boarding that plane,” Motsoaledi told the SABC.

Meanwhile, during a briefing in Cape Town on Tuesday, Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula said 10 of the 12 people who were killed were South African.

It has become known that the next batch of Nigerians who indicated interest to voluntarily leave South Africa would leave the country on Saturday, September 14th.

Nigerian boy waits for boarding with his family’s luggage


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may like

In the news
Load More