Infant radiant warmer kills newborn in Mahikeng

The internal burns became the reason of a newborn boy’s death after he had been placed into an infant warmer in hospital on Monday last week.

The completely healthy baby boy was in the care of the nursing staff at the Mahikeng Provincial Hospital when he was placed in the infant warmer as he was suffering from hypothermia, spokesperson for the North West health MEC Tebogo Lekgethwane claimed.

“The last time I saw him alive was on Monday [August 26]. I slept with him that morning; he was fine when I went into theatre,” the mother, Seipai Maleke, told the media.

“They said he was placed in the infant radiant warmer and they had no idea what happened – they said he was running out of oxygen.”

The paramedics had attempted to transport the baby to the Clinix Lesedi Private Hospital in Johannesburg in order to provide specialised care, but he died on the way.

Hospital spokesperson Mosotho Makhoba was unable to be reached for questions.

The family is now to sue the Mahikeng Hospital over their negligence and mistreatment of their child.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may like

In the news
Load More