The South African army will not deploy any military forces in the Eastern Cape in Nelson Mandela Bay, Premier Oscar Mabuyane said on Tuesday.
While the gang wars continue to grapple the province, Mabuyane said the police showed promising results in eradicating gangsterism. Speaking at Strelitzia Primary School in Bethelsdorp, he assured the community that the EC authorities would do everything possible to free the residents from crime-related incidents.
“There can’t be peace and security in a place where our people have to run away from guns. We are declaring war on gangsterism, crime, and drugs. We are going to remove any stumbling block against the people and our government, especially crime. I was concerned to see young people loitering instead of being at school,” the official stated.
Two months ago, Strelitzia Primary was invaded by the groups of criminals who even shot each other at the institution gates. Since then, the spate of killing has resulted in the closure of seven other schools across the province.
According to the authorities, the permanent Anti- Gang Unit would be established in the Eastern Cape but not in the short term.