The residents of Nompumelelo informal settlement lost almost everything in the fire that broke out in one of the shacks on Thursday night. Eight shacks were reported to have been engulfed in fire that tore through a section of Nompumelelo township near Beacon Bay in East London.
The fire was reported for the first time at around 11pm. The locals are sure that an electrical fault and a short circuit caused the fire.
The fire department and the police have made no statements about any casualties or injuries following the incident.