Northern Cape Department of Education confirmed that at least twenty-five pupils of Venus Primary School in Kimberley were taken to hospital after an unknown gas had apparently been released into their classroom.
ER24 paramedics found all the children, aged between 8 and 9, in an open field outside the school. They were suffering from vomiting, coughing and sore eyes after the evacuation from the classroom.
“It is believed that five ‘paintballs’ were cracked open in the classroom, which resulted in fumes being released,” the paramedics mentioned.
The children were transported to Kimberley Provincial Hospital where their injuries were described as not life-threatening. Northern Cape Department of Education are now to find those responsible for the gas incident.