KZN flood death toll is 51

Torrential rains turned into a disaster in KZN provinces as the death toll in Durban had risen to 51. Local authorities also confirmed the information about at least five people gone missing.

“More bodies were discovered under the rubble as rescue operations continued throughout Tuesday night,” MEC Nomusa Dube-Ncube said.

In the provinces that were hit by heavy rains and subsequent floods, hundreds of people are known to have been left homeless and resettled from damaged houses.

“People’s homes had been swallowed by raging floods, while scores of others have been misplaced in Port St Johns in the Eastern Cape, forcing them to take refuge in community halls and churches,” KZN officials said on Wednesday morning.

“As South Africans, the entire nation’s thoughts and prayers are with the people of KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape who have been affected by the forces of nature against which they had little defence,” President Cyril Ramaphosa said.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may like

In the news
Load More