The Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi says that the video footage handed over to the police may lead to the arrest of those behind the fatal stabbing of a Mondeor High School pupil.
According to the police statement, the body of a teenager was found near a park close to the school premises.
Today was one of the toughest days in my journalism career. I broke down. I cried. I'm shattered. My heart is in pieces. pic.twitter.com/vBbvjYvI0G
— ReeNaeNae (@ReneilweLD) March 13, 2019
It is said that Kulani Mathebula, aged 19, was attacked on his way to school on Wednesday morning.
“We’ve been inundated with lots of calls where people have various footage of the incident. We’ve now handed all the footage to the police,” said Panyaza Lesufi.
He also claimed that it was still unclear who may be behind this attack.
“We are very hopeful that the police will get something from the footage,” Panyaza Lesufi added.
The police have started the investigation.
This year there have been several cases of violence at schools across the country. Last month a 13-year-old pupil died after he was knifed by a classmate in the North West province.
A total number of schoolchildren murdered at Western Cape schools this year is 17.
People are mourning the loss of life and you see an opportunity to market your products? It's like going to a funeral and selling your wares there because there are many potential clients. Can you do that? Really?#MondeorHigh #MondeorStabbing
— DirectInYoFace (@MjikaJoe) March 13, 2019
So scared to bring a child into this earth… #MondeorStabbing
— MaCele (@CeleMooksie) March 13, 2019
#MondeorStabbing Gauteng needs to instil discipline in schools through codes of conduct. We also need to integrate school safety as a fundamental component of local safety strategies that involve partnerships with communities. And this must be in practice not just in theory.
— Inkatha Freedom Party in Gauteng_Legislature (@ifp_gauteng) March 13, 2019