Support at court for family of boy allegedly killed by step-grandfather

Ekangala – The case against Johannes Mokgatla, the step-grandfather accused of killing Nhlanhla Sibanyoni, 9, was postponed in the Ekangala Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

The case was postponed to January 30, 2019, for further investigation.

The Grade 2 pupil’s body was found in bushes three weeks ago.

Nhlanhla was found face down by a cow herder.

The boy could not be identified immediately owing to the extensive injuries to his face.

Community members said it appeared the boy had been beaten in the face with a blunt object.

On Wednesday angry community members filled the small courtroom to show support to the family of the slain child.

They also held a short demonstration outside court subsequent to the proceedings.

The 47-year-old suspect, who made his second court appearance, had lived with the boy’s family since 2014 up until the day of the tragedy.

He was arrested on Thursday in KwaMhlanga, not far from where they had lived.

Speaking outside the court after proceedings, the distraught child’s father Thato Mabena said: “Sometimes I don’t sleep at night and it is very difficult for me to accept that he is gone. I haven’t been going to work because it is just so hard for me.

“The man deserves to die in prison and that’s the only way my son can be able to rest in peace,” he said.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may like

In the news
Load More